The life of a part-time racer

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Trackday - Cadwell Park 16th June

So this is it, my return to the track after a 10 week lay-off with my broken shoulder, back here at Cadwell Park where it all happened. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong so that I can get my confidence back.

I'm here because I have an Auto66 race here in two days time and I want to get some time on the bike before mixing it with the big boys again.

Tyre warmers on, battery charger on, fuel in, oil level good. Brand new tyres on. We're ready.

The usual briefing takes place and then its on the bike for the sighting laps.

Lap one... This is a good pace to scrub my tyres in. Gradually increase the speed and lean angle

Lap two... Feeling good, increase speed and lean angle a bit further. tyres feeling good

Lap three... right then, lets give it a bit of full throttle. Slow down to create a gap in the convoy of bikes, give it some.... mmmm, that adrenilin rush is back. Feeling good. Another gap, another bit of full throttle and a bit more lean, all the way round Chris's curve. Then settle down towards the end of the lap ready to pull in....

...whats this guy want, waving and pointing? I turn round to see smoke bellowing out of my bike. With just one corner left, I decide to carry on and leave the track as normal. Last corner and "WOOOOHHH", the back end comes flying round and nearly has me off. I ride at a snails pace up the exit road and into the paddock. Stop and look at the bike.

Holy mother of god!

The bike has oil dripping from every panel. The bike is coated in it!

The bike is stripped and eventually we find out that there are two rubber seals on the oil filter. The old one had remained stuck in place when I replaced the filter this week and as a result there was no seal, resulting in approximately 2.5 litres of hot oil being sprayed over the entire bike. I was lucky to have stayed on - Very VERY lucky.

So this was my first time out on the bike after breaking my shoulder at this very circuit! Not the best way to gain confidence.

It took me about 3 hours to clean the bike with the help of friendly riders and their cleaning products. My tyres were now not only new but has absorbed a shocking amount of oil. After a few laps of the car park to make sure they wouldn't throw me off at the first opportunity I went back on track - for 5 minutes.

I came back in, happy that the bike was safe and went straight to (100% bike suspension) Colin for a bit of suspension help. He had a tweak and then it was back out again. It felt better and I pushed harder and then came back in to compose myself for one last decent session at the end of the day.

Time to see if the gixxer thou boys next to me were really as good as they sounded when I had listened to them throughout the day.

Out we go, with me following them. Build up the pace slowly letting them get away a touch. Right then - lets give it some....

1 lap later, I had passed them, a couple of other guys and left them for dead. I felt happy with my performance. But just to bring me back down to earth, I was passed by some REALLY fast guys and I just couldn't catch them. Oh well, lets pretend they're British Superstock boys - maybe they were?

So a mixed day. I thanked my lucky stars I was still in one piece and headed of to a nearby pub for a much needed beer. Bring on Sundays race!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home