The life of a part-time racer

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Round 5 - Teesside Autodrome - 29 April

I've been putting this entry off. Yep, lets just say this race day didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.

I packed up the van on the Saturday night and as Nic headed off for a night out with the girls, I headed off for another nights sleep in the van. Glamorous!

The next morning I was up early and set up for the day with the help of Big Scott (Scott Whitfield's mate and ex-club racer). My newly polished machine breezed through scrutineering and I made my way out for practice.

It only took a couple of laps to remind me that I HATE THIS TRACK. It's no good for motorcycles and should be left as a go-kart track.

With the usual joke of a PA system, it was a case of, watch the race before, guess when the flag was coming out and get yourself ready. Inevitably we'd turn up in the holding bay and have to wait for our tyres to cool down before being let out on the track - its as if its one of Auto66's policies.




Qualification for the Clubman's 600 race was okay and I took 3rd, being overtaken on the last corner, but since the first four line up together it really doesn't matter.

Likewise, coming 2nd in the Senior qualification was a god result but a front row start is all I was after.

In the 600 trophy race I got a good start and was in second place. Unfortunately, half way round the first lap I pushed the front a fraction too much on the off camber, down-hill, tight right-hander that leads onto the back straight. I went down softly and slid along with the bike. I pulled the clutch in to keep it running and jumped straight up. As I did the bike stalled and wouldn't start - I was out and had to watch the race by the tyre wall - no fun, but at least there was no damage to the bike




The trophy race for the Senior Cup was a different story however and I was out in front for the whole race. I knew that somebody was close and expected one of the 1000cc machines to come flying passed but it never happened. I took a nice tight line into the last corner and powered out as hard as I could for the line. As I crossed, I noticed a bike right at my side - surely I hadn't lost it at the line. I didn't think so but everybody watching thought i had just lost it. As it turns out, I came 1st by 0.02 seconds - pah! Easy!

It felt great picking up only my second 1st trophy, shame it looks a bit wonky! Still, mickey mouse trophy for a mickey mouse track!

On to the points races and I felt a bit more confident in getting a good result in the 600 even though I had crashed in the trophy race. As it turns out, I just didn't have the pace through the twisty sections and I could only bring it home in 4th. I was catching 3rd and felt I could have had him if we had another lap or two but hey, points are points.

I was really looking forward to taking on the 1000cc bikes again but as we lined up for the last race of the day, there were only 3 of us! Me and two 1000cc's. I got a good start but had to slot into 2nd at the first corner. As I tried to brake as late as I could into the tight right second corner, I outbraked myself and ran straight into the kitty litter. As I came to a halt, I managed to paddle my way through it and get back on to the track, but by now I was about 15 seconds behind the others.


This was it - head down - concentrate - put in some good, fast, consistent laps.

At the first lap I was still about 15 seconds down but that seemed to have dropped by the end of the next lap - that gave me hope

One lap later and the gap must have been about 10 seconds - I was flying

Lap after lap I closed them down and I braked later and later as I gained more and more confidence. It was going to happen - I could feel it - I was going to catch them.

With 2 laps to go I shot passed second place on the brakes into turn one. A great move which required real "balls". I wanted first!

Hard on the gas - hard on the brakes. Get it turned, sit it up and back on the throttle. Find your braking marker and add another split second. Hard on the brakes and turn.... closing closing...

As we passed the last lap flag I was with him. We entered the braking zone for turn one where I passed second place. I braked HARD. The bike skipped up its rear wheel and I stamped down to find second gear - It didn't take!

In too high a gear, I had to brake even harder on an already unstable bike. The front end couldn't cope. It didn't make the turn...

The ground came up to meet me even faster than I seemed to be going but I remember feeling angry with myself even before I hit it. As I slid across the ground I saw the other bikes disappear round the corner and then I came to a stop in the hard packed dirt. I didn't think it was a particularly big "off" and even when I glanced at my bike I thought all I had done was throw away the chance of a victory. As it turns out, the diagnosis was a lot worse

Smashed carbon exhaust (RRP£450), bent titanium middle section (RRP£250), Cracked subframe (RRP£350), Smashed bodywork (RRP£350), bent Gilles chain adjuster (RRP£180)broken pegs, bent clip-ons, bent levers, snapped swingarm lugs, bent engine bolts, knackered crash bobbins, broken exhaust protector (about another £200) - I felt empty.

I'll be honest, I felt close to tears. I wanted to rewind the clock just 5 minutes and do the last lap again, without crashing.

At times like this racing is tough. It's the polar opposite of the highs you get when you win, I just didn't expect to feel them both in the same day.

So now I'm on eBay every day trying to reduce the near £2000 bill of new original equipment, to something closer to £1k. It's still like working a month for free but I can't bear thinking about the other option. I just love racing too much.

Let's see if I can get her back together for May 20th at Elvington.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home